Thursday, 22 May 2008

Dramas with the lead role + others

I got a call at 8 yesterday morning, from Colin (Cory's uncle) saying that he can now play the lead role because the funeral is on Monday.

So now I have to make a decision whether to keep Jonah on, who I'd already mucked around by saying he couldn't have it, then falling back to him when the others didn't want it. Or to muck him around even more and let him go, getting Cory - the original actor, to do it. I'd already dreamt - after having a few too many shots in my coffee before bedtime - about making him cry in front of his family that night and him stressing about learning lines in so little time. So I wasn't in a very good headspace. I called Katya, director, to ask her advice. She was really helpful and explained that because Colin and Cory are related, they will have much better natural dialogue. She helped me through how to diplomatically let Jonah go.

I called and left a message for Jonah at home at 4:30pm, then called again around 5:30pm. To my relief, he was told that he'd be kicked off the rugby team if he played the part on Saturday. I didn't want to affect his life like that.

In other news, the board of trustees member who had wanted to change the script won't be playing the part anymore, I had to explain diplomatically that because he has had experience as a BOT member rather than an actor, he couldn't as accurately portray the emotion and expressions I needed. He was too much of a nice guy, I needed an asshole! I've got Chris Molloy to do it instead. Yay.

No comments: