Wednesday, 21 May 2008

First rehearsal

The first rehearsal went well last night. Iggy who I had found by calling St Peters College and his Dad arrived 45 minutes early, which was awesome but I was caught unaware and unprepared.


The director, Katya came and we went through the script.


It was good to meet some people who I hadn't met before, who had been recruited from YouthLaw contacts.


We ran through the script 3 times. The actor for the chair person is a professional actor and had real talent, as did the teacher.


We had dramas with the lead actor, who was going to be played by Cory, but his uncle recently passed away. Instead I asked Iggy to play the lead. He was good, but not as confident.

Jonah arrived late and so I didn't get him to read many lines. At the end, I told Jonah that I wouldn't need him and asked Iggy to play the role. But Iggy didn't want it anymore, so I gave the part to Jonah, having not heard him speak much.


Some of the actors were opinionated about how the script should be changed, saying that they had been to suspension hearings, and that was not how they worked. Which is fair enough to be an opinion, but I had written the script based on input from lawyers who had been to hundreds of hearings and had checked to make sure it was realistic.


e.g. they were saying that the principal had a voting right in this situation, but in actual fact, they don't.


We finished up around 8:30pm, hopefully I'll be able to get a picture up of the students.

No comments: