Thursday, 29 May 2008

The Knife - Sunday morning - John Hancock


We got into recording John, he's the senior solictor at YouthLaw, and I wanted him to talk about various aspects of the scenario I'd written into the script. He would be the "official" voice, the voice of reason. What he said was meant to reinforce ideas and concepts that were in the film, this is the stuff that the youth workers would pay attention to.

My film project had been given to me by Jeanie (Project manager) and Harvena (Lawyer). The module I was working on was Harvena's, she'd created the rest of the resources. I was pissed off when I found out that no one had prepared anything for John to say today. I'd given all the Lawyers at YouthLaw time to prepare some content for John to go from, even given examples of the types of things he might want to say. But despite my attempts to get anyone to write down a few sentences, John arrived with nothing prepared for him. Actually, he'd asked Jeanie if he should prepare something, but she'd said that he could just speak from the top of his head. This pissed me off, because it went against what I'd originally asked, which was for somebody to prepare some content for him to say. I couldn't make the content because I'm not a lawyer.


It didn't quite work, we had to do quite a few takes before we got something that sounded good and was legally correct. The whole time, we had kept a relaxed attitude towards everything, but when we went over the 12pm mark, we had to hurry things along, so that Greg, Tam and I could have lunch before going back to Unitec on time.

No comments: